Friday, January 27, 2012

Christian or Discipleship (part 2)

I apologize but in my eagerness to get my point accross yesterday, I presented some information that was wrong. I stated that the Bible does not have the word Christian in it, but it was brought to my attention by a pastor friend and i would like to clear it up right now. The word Christian is in the Bible; please see the following The first recorded use of the term is in the New Testament, in Acts 11:26, which states "...in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians." The second mention of the term follows in Acts 26:28, where Herod Agrippa II replies to Paul the Apostle, "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?" The third and final New Testament reference to the term is in 1 Peter 4:16, which exhorts believers, "...if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." The term "Christian" is also adjectivally to describe anything associated with Christianity, or in a proverbial sense "all that is noble, and good, and Christ-like." It is also used as a label to identify people who associate with the cultural aspects of Christianity, irrespective of personal religious beliefs or practices. So there it is! Tomorrow I will do a post on discipleship, so you have both sides of the coin and you can make and informed decision "Christianity or disciplehip"???

No comments:

Post a Comment